B’nai Mitzvah: Paths of Connection
A unique and inclusive B’nai Mitzvah program designed for teenagers 11-15.
The spiritual unfolding of the Bar/Bat Mitzvah process opens the door to a deeper connection between the teenagers, their families, and their spiritual community. Bet Alef has created a space where all three come together in a two-year program through which all are challenged to grow and support one another.
- Bet Alef does not impose an age restriction for the participants. Some teenagers have joined us as late as age 14 or 15.
- As a community committed to interfaith work and inclusiveness, our program welcomes children from many different family backgrounds.
- Bet Alef does not require the families participating in the program to become members of our synagogue, making it more affordable to all. We hope that the nurturing and supportive environment of our community will naturally bring people to feel they have found their spiritual home.
- We believe it is important for each student to enjoy an individual ceremony, and have created a Bar/Bat Mitzvah service which places the teenager at the center, as the co-leader of the worship experience.
- Our program not only engages the children in participating together in a year-long Mitzvah project, but also includes meditation instructions and practice at the beginning of each class.
- We expect all our students to have a solid understanding of the language. If your student is not yet familiar and comfortable with Hebrew, please connect with us to arrange for private instruction, but don’t let this prevent your student from participating.
Contact the Bet Alef office at (206) 527-9399 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.