Bet Alef Meditative Synagogue is an independent, inclusive spiritual community of 115 households in Seattle, practicing an evolving Judaism as a path to awakening. We foster a Jewish spirituality for all ages that supports each individual, is realized in community and manifests itself in our world as peaceful acts of compassion and love.
As such, Bet Alef is dedicated to inspiring curiosity, motivating employees to take risks, encouraging compassion and kindness and valuing different perspectives and backgrounds. Our staff enjoy an environment that inspires creativity while being part of a collaborative community. We also like to have fun!
We have an opening for a part-time family holidays celebration leader and 3rd-5th grade Classroom Teacher, for our Tuesday afternoon supplemental school program! This two-hour class will comprise teaching Hebrew the first hour, and alternatively Mitzvot or prayers & blessings the second hour.
Location: Capitol Hill, Seattle, WA
Part Time – Extremely competitive salary scale based on experience
- Work with the Rabbi to collaboratively develop lesson plans and learning topics in an integrated curriculum.
- Work with Rabbi, staff and parents to continue improve curriculum on an ongoing basis.
- Maintain appropriate paperwork (registration, attendance, etc
- Create a child centered, nurturing, and non-competitive learning environment where children can develop self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Create opportunities for children to thrive as individuals, yet feel a part of a group and a community.
- Model behaviors that are expected from the children
Qualifications and Skills:
- Background in Jewish Studies & Jewish Education, strong knowledge of Hebrew, Shabbat prayers, blessings, Jewish rituals and ritual objects.
- A bachelor’s or equivalent experience (3-5 years minimum preferred). Teacher certification a plus.
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- A passion for working with students coupled with an ability to strategically engage with children of different ages and social-emotional capacities.
- Capacity and genuine desire to engage in experiential activities and programs with children of ages ranging from 3rd-5th graders.
- Ability to create and lead meaningful and enlivening celebrations of Jewish holidays and Shabbats for children and their families.
- Ability to build strong relationships with and clearly and effectively communicate to parents, lay and professional leaders.
- Skilled in the use of technology: including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office Suite
Scope of Commitment:
- Tuesday afternoons, 4:15 -6:15 PM weekly (during school year).
- Jewish Holidays
- Appropriate preparation for all classes offered.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications will be reviewed, however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.
For more information about Bet Alef Meditative Synagogue please visit www.betalef.org.
Bet Alef Meditative Synagogue is an Equal Opportunity Employer