At a Bet Alef Friday night Shabbat Service, we…
- Light the candles as an invitation to honor the light in our lives and in others
- Use the traditional liturgy as a foundation to explore our spiritual journey
- Chant, meditate and sing to unlock the deeply personal meaning of the prayers and allow them to resonate more fully through our Being
- Explore the weekly Torah portion using a Kabbalistic interpretation
- Allow music to take us deeper and joyfully re-energize us
- Draw strength, hope, and humor from others in our community
All in all, a joyous process that enables us to become more present to our lives, families and friends.
For millennia, Jews have observed the period from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown as a day of rest, renewal and reflection on matters of the heart and Spirit. When our civilization continuously focuses our attention outwardly—relentlessly inviting us to keep ourselves busy and unendingly distracted, always preoccupied with materialistic pursuits—celebrating Shabbat is a countercultural and almost subversive practice that is meant to turn us inward and remind us that we are multi-faceted beings with a deep spiritual side that needs our time and attention just as much.
And what better way to reconnect with the inner dimension of our self than to engage in a meaningful Jewish meditative practice? Studies continue to show that slowing down, practicing mindfulness, and integrating a spiritual practice as an essential part of our lives re-invigorate, rejuvenate, and bring people physical and mental health benefits. Such is the invitation of our Shabbat services.
Bet Alef COVID Protocols for Shabbat Services
Our goal is to provide a safe environment for all of our congregants and staff. As part of that, and in coordination with the Center for Spiritual Living, we continue to monitor and abide by King County recommendations regarding gatherings. We continue to strongly encourage those who are able to get their vaccinations – and boosters if eligible.
In alignment with CSL’s own requirements, wearing masks is optional and based on your level of comfort in our space. Thank you for your understanding.
Click in the bottom right corner of the video to make this window full screen during the live stream.